Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lindsay's Africa Project - The project grows!

Right well, I've been busy, Lindsay's Africa Project now has assumed a building, and is employing staff, but I'll explain that in a minute.

Firstly, I've been supporting a project which I've written about before, The Galana Ranch Project. It was the offical opening of the school last week of the 8 classroom primary school, which has been built over the last 2 years.

So I got a gang together, rented a safari vehicle (much like any Ambulance trip!) and we headed in to enjoy the celebrations and to see also what the farmers had achieved.
Part of the 2 day event was the awarding of prizes to the best farmers for different catagories, and so I bought wheelbarrows for the best crops that year. It was a pleasure to be able to still assist in this project, and of course I got to make a customary speech in my best Swahille.
It was all good fun and we got to see some animals too which was great, also for Sinead too, who was on her first trip of the Africa interior.

It was all good fun and we got to see some animals too which was great, also for Sinead too, who was on her first trip of the Africa interior.







Since that event last week, I've been focusing on a seminar that I held yesterday. I have discovered during my computer work in the area with schools and contact with others, that there's a bit of a lack of understanding of computers amoungst people, but also a total lack of communication amoungst those that do know anything. So along with a rather enthusiastic guy named Jim originally from Nairobi we invited all to this IT seminar, with the idea of explaining a few computer things to those who don't know, and introducing those who do.



I'd like to think it was a success. About 40 people came from many backgrounds including government administration, schools, computer techs and individuals.

I think the main issue that was highlighted was the need for a central place that more information can come from, that'll help schools, and other groups utilise computers properly and to the most gain.

So it has strengthend mine and Jim's resolve to create an IT resource centre. So it is in the making, and over the next month I'll keep you posted on its progress.

So far we have the room rented, and we're getting security doors installed and furniture made. People have come forward as potential trainers for the computer school side, and we already have a hundred-and-one ideas about resources.
So if you have any contacts or IT ideas and resources please pass them on, I'll never have enough!!!!

All is well!!


Lindsay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home